Starting Your Story
1 The Portal
Take time to explore the portal. Take note of the several tabs at the top.
- My Stories
- Where all your stories can be seen
- Art Catalog
- Where you can view our stock backgrounds, overlays and clothing
- Where you can find all information on how to use Donacode, and starting your story.
- A page full of frequently asked questions and answers.
- This will send you to our Forums; this will navigate you away from the Writer’s Portal.
- This will become available to your when your story reaches the minimum number of required reads.
To get back to the homepage at any point, click on the logo in the upper left corner.
2 Create A New Story
The first step in writing a story is to create your story.
- Go to “My Stories” if you’re not already there.
- Tap the link “New Story.”
- Enter a title for your story. This is what readers will see on the app.
- Tap “Create.”
3 Create Characters
Once you’ve created your story, the first step is to create characters.
- On your story page, tap “Characters” under Step 1.
- Choose the art style of your characters, Ink or Original.
- From the list of sample characters, choose a character. You can edit their look later.
- Give your character a name. This is how you refer to your character in the script.
- Save your character.
4 Design Characters
After creating a character, you can design what you want them to look like. You can change how they look at any time.
Choose from the dropdown menus for various types of features. For Classic characters, you’ll have the ability to choose their outfit, hair, face, eyes, mouth and body. For Ink and Limelight characters, you’ll have the ability to choose their outfit, hair, face, eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth and body.
Outfit: Unless you specify otherwise in the script (@CHARACTER changes into OUTFIT), this is what your character wears.
5 Create Outfits
Move on to creating outfits for your characters after designing your characters.
- On your story page, tap “Outfits” under Step 2.
- Tap “New Outfit.”
- Give the outfit a name.
- Add and remove various articles of clothing to design the outfit by clicking on them. Each outfit should have at least a top, bottom and shoes (or full dress and shoes).
- Save the outfit.
6 Outfit Changes
You can change a character’s clothes by switching their current outfit for another one. Generally, characters should change outfits off-screen; otherwise, they will appear to “pop” into the new outfit. You can see an example of this in the Example Script: Basic Direction. Hit “preview” in the upper right hand corner to view the script in the Web Previewer.
Outfit Change Syntax:
@CHARACTER changes into OUTFIT
@ANGIE changes into Classy
@HAYES changes into DirtyM6
As mentioned in above, each of your stories will have their own collection of outfits that you make from our catalog. The name of the outfit that you type into the script (i.e. “Classy” or “DirtyM6” above) will have to be the exact names that you gave them in the Outfit portal.
Starting An Episode
7 Start A New Episode
Once you’ve created a story, characters and outfits, you’re ready to start for your first episode.
- Start on the main page for your story.
- On the right-hand side, tap “New Episode.”
8 Save and Test Your Story
Once you have something you want to test, be sure to save it!
- Tap “Save” in the upper right corner of the script. This will give you any errors your script has. Fix all of them or your script won’t play.
- Play through your entire story on the app with every update, watching for errors.
Deleted items cannot be restored, so be careful!
Outfits can be deleted whenever they are NOT currently being used in your script. You can use the “DELETE” button on the outfit screen. If the outfit is currently being used at some point in the script, it will not be deletable.
Similar to outfits, characters can be deleted only if they are NOT currently being used in your script. You can delete them from their character editing screen using the DELETE button.
You can only delete the LAST episode in your current script, and only if it is NOT published or shared. To delete an episode, open that episode and click the “DELETE” button in the upper right corner.
You can only delete a story if it is NOT published or shared. You can delete a story using the DELETE button in the upper right corner.