References to Assault, Violence & Torture:
Inclusion of this type of content should add to the story, not take away from it or be the sole focus.
- No graphic / explicit / detailed descriptions of rape / assault / violence / gore / etc.
- Promotes or depicts excessive violence or assault, including but not limited to sexual assault, murder, and torture against humans or animals;
- Authors can give general descriptions or broad strokes, but not details.
- Ex: they can say a rape / murder / assault happened, but cannot describe the details, injuries or physical sensations.
- Physical or sexual abuse can referenced provided the representation is respectful, contextually appropriate and doesn’t glorify being a victim / survivor.
- Torture cannot be depicted on screen. References to torture, and evidence of torture are allowed, but cannot be explicit or gratuitous.
- When depicting physical violence, authors can show any two of the following, but not all three at once:
- Person or body
- Blood (limited to one ‘swipe)
- Weapon or restraint
- The guidelines are especially strict concerning parental abuse towards children (Children are considered 15 years of age and under. Parents include but are not limited to any figure of authority such as a step-parent, adoptive parent, teacher or coach).
- Descriptions of parental abuse must be very general and not described in detail.
- When showing physical abuse via animations (punch, slap, etc.) one punch/slap from a parent to a child is sufficient to show the reader that the child is being abused.