Themes of suicide and self harm are allowed, but must be presented respectfully, maturely and in a non-glorifying way.
- No graphic / explicit / detailed descriptions of suicide / self-harm / etc.
- Authors can give highlights or broad strokes, but not details.
- You can state that self-harm or suicide has happened, but you cannot include descriptions or the details such as the types of injuries or physical sensations.
- Self-harm or suicide cannot be depicted as feeling good, being a relief, or as a means of escape.
- Authors cannot show blood, gore or bodies resulting from a suicide, including but not limited to the following:
- Bodies hanging from a noose
- Blood dripping down the wrists,
- Cuts anywhere on the body,
- Gunshot wounds anywhere on the body
- Authors can show the scene leading up to a suicide, and the location that a suicide has taken place but cannot depict the suicide itself in any form.
You are not alone. If you need help, please contact these numbers for FREE and CONFIDENTIAL support.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
To learn more about Lifeline, www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Crisis Text Line
Text: HOME to 741-741
To learn more about the anonymous service, www.crisistextline.org
- For a larger list of services, www.befrienders.org & Google’s Good to Know
If you’re concerned for someone else, please let them know there are safe alternatives and places that can help:
- S.A.F.E Alternatives www.selfinjury.com
- SiOS is an outreach initiative www.sioutreach.org
- The Trevor Project for crisis intervention for LGBTQ+ youth http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children http://www.missingkids.org/cybertipline
- Thorn, to stop the exploitation of children. https://www.wearethorn.org/
- LGBT Nation Help Center http://www.glbthotline.org/
- LGBT Helpline http://www.lgbt.ie/
- Switchboard LGBT + helpline https://switchboard.lgbt/
- LGBT foundation (International) http://lgbt.foundation/get-support/helpline-and-email-advice/
- LGBT Youth (Canada) http://www.youthline.ca/
**If you believe someone is in immediate danger, please call their local authorities.**